Seiten

22. März 2013

Breakfast Millet Bowl



In recent years breakfast has become the most important meal of the day for me.
It keeps me sane. And because it is this important for me, I get up 2 hours before I have to leave the house only to have enough time to celebrate this part of the day. Stress in the morning can ruin my day. Seriously. There is nothing worse than shuffling down your oatmeal in 1 minute, drink your cup of tea in one gulp, and rush out the door to catch the train. So exhausting!You see, I am more of a slow eater and drinker when it comes to the early part of the day. I need my rituals to feel cozy and relaxed. I think I am lucky that I am an early bird and don’t mind getting up early. Priorities guys, priorities.
Most days I have oatmeal with some kind of fruit and nut butter for breakfast.
But once in a while a little change does not hurt either.
Welcome the bloved Breakfast Millet Bowl. It is a yummy alternative for those who are sensitive to gluten and those who want to integrate more grains into their lives. One serving of whole grains for breakfast? Yes please.
To add some spice, I normally throw in a cinnamon stick and/or one star anise. For the warmer months I prefer vanilla or lemon, but since it is still freezing outside, I used cinnamon and anise today.
The recipe below makes enough millet to serve three people but also keeps well in the fridge for a few days. I prefer to cook a whole batch and just reheat it the next day with a splash of milk.

Millet is one my favorite whole grains of all times. Really. I adore its nutty flavor and the creaminess when cooked. To make it even better, millet contains its fair share of iron, protein and B-vitamins. Vegetarian super food, yeah!
And now get up and make yourself a nutritious, filling and most importantly, delicious breakfast you want to share with your loved ones.
Dress up your bowl with sliced, seasonal fruits, fruit compote, nuts or a drizzle of maple syrup. Sprinkle with coconut and enjoy!

 
Ingredients:
(Serves 3)

1 cup millet, washed
2 cups unsweetened plant milk (I used oat milk)
½ -1 cup water, depending on how creamy you want the millet to be
1 cinnamon stick
Handful raisins
2 Tbsp shredded coconut

Wash millet with warm water and add into a small pot.
Add raisins, cinnamon stick, anise star and coconut flakes in a small pot and cover with milk and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 10 minutes, or until liquid is almost completely absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. The millet should be creamy and soft. If you like it more soft, stir in more water until the desired consistency is reached.
Serve with fresh fruit, my favorites are mango, pineapple, and blood oranges.
Leftovers reheat well. Just add a splash of milk or water and heat through.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen