Seiten

15. Juni 2013

Sweet Raspberry Cornbread (gluten free)



 
Todays blog post features the first totally gluten free cake recipe I have ever done in my life.
Drum roll, please!
Although I am not gluten intolerant, I am  sensitive to wheat. Most of my baked recipes use spelt flour since I love its health benefits and I digest it more easily.

My first gluten free baking experience was quite frightening because I did not know what to expect. Will it taste like dry wood or will it crumble like old wakllpaper that has been painted far too often? Luckily, neither of this happend and I think the cornbread turned out well enough to share with you.


                           

If you have never had corn flour before, you’ll probably find that it has a dull and slightly tart taste to it. But don’t be fooled! It tastes great when balanced with something sweet, rich and fruity. Thus I chose two of my favorite baking ingredients: honey and vanilla.
If you want this recipe to be completely vegan, replace the honey with any other liquid sweetener you prefer.
I know, I know…June is the “Month of Strawberries”, so why the hell did I chose raspberries?! Eh, the raspberries went into the cornbread because….I had them in the freezer? That’s it. I had them in my freezer. And they were already talking to me because I had slightly neglected them. I mean, who can resist the begging of a pink cuty patootie  raspberry? I can't-
Also, I love to wing it, you know…Sometimes improvisation brings out the best results.

As always, have fun in the kitchen and enjoy!



Sweet Raspberry Cornbread (gluten free)

Ingredients (for a 30 cm pan):

100g (3/4 cup) corn flour (masa harina)
115g (3/4 cup) corn meal (polenta meal)
1 Tbsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
4 Tbsp honey or other liquid sweetener
1 heaping Tbsp coconut oil and more to grease the pan
1 ¼ cup oat milk
1 cup frozen raspberries

Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
In a large bowl mix flours, salt, vanilla sugar and baking powder. Add honey, coconut oil and milk and stir to combine. Fold in frozen raspberries and pour into a greased  round pan.
Bake at 175°C for 25 minutes or until golden brown and the top slightly cracked.
Let cake cool on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing.


                        

                        

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen